Saturday, December 11, 2021

Tamil New Year controversy - Part 1 (My arguments against New Year in Thai)

Regular and long time readers would have known that I have been consistently questioning the attempts by the DMK governments in the past to change Tamil New Year from Chitthirai to the month of Thai. One can see my talks and articles questioning the change of the New Year, in 2012 archives. Now with the installation of the DMK government in the State, the New Year controversy has come up after the Govt printed New Year wishes on the Ration products distributed for Thai Pongal. In this backdrop, my interview to the You Tube Channel Desiya Siragugal is telecast in three parts starting from today. 

In the 1st part, I am examining the evidences presented by Mr. Karunanidhi and Tamil scholars in support of Thai as the New Year and prove them to be wrong. I am also bringing out the true relevance of  "Pongal" and the genesis of  the three festivals - Bhogi, Pongal and Maattu Pongal - which were basically related to the cattle-breeding Yadava people having allegiance to Krishna. 



1 comment:

Surya said...

This is a timely and good article. Thank you.