"Sound of axe" -
this seems to be the gift for the "Uliyin vosai" that reverberated
the Great temple at Tanjore 1000 years ago!
The Grand temple - the Emperor of all temples
which weathered the vagaries of Nature
is helpless in the face of callous attitude of the ASI
The Grand Temple!
What people did.
What Archeological Survey of India did.
(Pictures and inputs from Dr S.Kalyanaraman and Mr GP Srinivasan )
“E. Hultzsch, Epigraphist, to the Government of Madras from 1886 to 1903, published the monumental three volume book on the Brihadeeswara Temple inscriptions.
SOUTH INDIAN INSCRIPTIONS, three Volumes
Volume two has Parts 1 & 2,
First published by ASI in 1892 Madras
Reprinted by Navrang in 1983.
We referred to the South Indian Inscriptions and identified the inscriptions on the broken pillars as given below. The damaged pillars and the inscriptions found on them are found published in the VOL 2 Parts 1 & 2. I am not going into details of the inscriptions in this report, as these are voluminous. These will be published separately. Some pillars have inscriptions on one side. Some have on two sides; some have inscription on three sides and some on four sides.
1) INSCRIPTION NO 47 - Pillar on three sides ( Page 191-192)
2) INSCRIPTION NO 48 - Pillar B . Has inscriptions on two sides.(PAGE 195 -196)
3) INSCRIPTION NO 51- PILLAR B. INSCRIPTIUONS ON FOUR SIDES . (PAGE 205 207 )
4) INSCRIPTION NO 51 - PILLAR C. INSCRIPTIONS ON FOUR SIDES. (207 – 210).
5) Mahahamandapam- adhistanam- kumadappadi on the outer wall- maximum damage.
6) Maximum vandalism is found inside the hollow of Sree Vimanam. The 1000 year old plaster inside the hollow gpuram has has been removed and seepage is found .
This is considerd to be maximum vandalism as this might have damaged the structural integrity of thge hollow gopuram.Paintings have been damaged . This may result in the damage to the gopuram, and to the damage of the unique Kalasam .”
What we can do.
Sign petition for
"Protection of Brihadisvara Temple, Tanjavur, India"http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/tanjavurtemple?e