Wednesday, June 18, 2008

God - in the eyes of Dr Madhavan Nair (ISRO)



The best way to know God is to love nature


By G. Madhavan Nair



(From "God and I" column in Deccan Chronicle, June 18, 2008)


My childhood was spent in a village environment. Born and brought up in a traditional Hindu family, I learnt to respect nature and believe in God.


God to me is the ultimate Truth and a Super Power. Spirituality is quest for the ultimate Truth.


The question of "How" and "Why" of any natural phenomenon quite often leads to an impasse and makes me believe that there is some power, which is beyond us.


Worship of nature and its creator has been the basis of most of the religions. I visit all places of worship whether it is a temple, mosque, church or gurudwara. It gives me a sense of tranquility and energy to concentrate on my deeds.


I love nature. I enjoy the sun rays, the gentle breeze, the beautiful flowers, the chirping birds, the high mountains, the vast oceans, the gorgeous rivers...


They all teach me lessons of life.Humans observe the beauty of nature, exploit its abundant resources and are awestruck with the force of natural fury.


I always think that the best way to know God is to love nature and all beings in it.


I believe that I have been sent to this beautiful world to carry out a pre-determined mission and my actions are shaped to fulfil such tasks.


I value focused and committed hard work to achieve the goals as I believe that time and opportunity never wait for anybody. Doing the right thing at the right time only can lead to success. Whatever may be one’s actions and intentions, the results sometimes defy logic. One tends to call it luck or bad luck, thus, leading to the belief that a force beyond us decides the course of events of the universe.


I believe in doing things right and caring for people, thus contributing to others’ happiness.


This may lead to fulfilling the wishes of God. Serving people, alleviating their sufferings and making them happy gives me the highest level of satisfaction.


May God bless one and all, making the world a better place to live in peace and harmony.


Dr G. Madhavan Nair is the chairman of Indian Space Research Organisation




No comments: