Monday, June 16, 2008

God and I - by Shreen Malini



The best way to practise faith is to serve others



By Shreen Malani


(From "God and I" column, Deccan Chronicle June 16, 2008)


I started believing in God, when I was a little girl. Initially, my family inculcated the values of faith and religion in me.


There has to be some power ingrained within a person, which protects, guides and influences the person. We may call this power God, supernatural or the Supreme Being.


When I pray, it gives me a wonderful sense of security and I start believing.


I have seen terrible times in my life. I was totally in despair and nobody could help me. Only my faith guided me through these difficult circumstances.


I do not believe in rituals, temple offerings and pujas. For me, faith matters more than religion. The best way to practice your faith is by serving people, giving alms to the needy and being good to others. Many years ago, my mother told me, "Try to do as much good as you can by serving others. That’s the best form of practising religion."


Shreen Malani is the owner of the Renaissance Art Gallery









No comments: